Here is an ultra-lightweight aloe-based serum that looks spearmint-y and smells of a spring meadow to some, and of just-picked strawberries to others.
It is a dew-consistency almost-liquid that is close to oil-free, yet it delivers a broad range of benefits in a single product: deep hydration, strong anti-inflammatory action, anti-oxidants, anti-aging benefits, refreshing effects, and even some acne reducing, tissue repairing, and sunburn and sun damage repair. And it makes your toner or mist optional. We recommend using this serum as the first moisturizing step, before a facial oil or oil-based serum.
More details on the ingredients:
- Turmeric CO2 supercritical extract: Ava chose this turmeric form because it provides incredible antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits, yet is nonirritating
- Yarrow oil: This deep blue oil from Bulgaria is distilled from white yarrow flowers and is one of the top anti-inflammatory essential oils, along with German blue chamomile and helichrysum. We used all of these oils in Nap in the Meadow, as each contributes slightly different effects. Yarrow oil is nondrying, yet it helps heal acne and balance excessively oily skin, and it soothes inflammatory skin disorders such as psoriasis and eczema
- German blue chamomile oil: German chamomile flowers are white and yellow but their distilled oil is a dark blue. It is one of Ava’s very top ingredients for decreasing skin inflammation (apparent as unhealthy redness) and pain (extremely helpful with painful acne breakouts)
- Helichrysum (Italian everlasting): We chose two different helichrysum essential oils, one from Croatia and one from Bosnia. They each contribute slightly different chemical compositions and scents. Helichrysum oils are very expensive and are the number-one essential oils for revitalizing skin tissue in an utterly soothing manner (helichrysum is so mild, it can be used undilluted on burns). Extremely beneficial for wrinkles, sagging of the skin, other signs of skin aging, scar healing, and sunburn
- Two different lavender species from France: Lavender oil is one of the top active skin care ingredients, and it is used here to revitalize skin and address persistent dryness more than for the fragrance. For this formula, we chose wild lavender from France, hand-gathered and distilled by an artisan distiller. Its fragrance is very delicate and complex. Our second lavender is also from France and it contributes a sweeter and more floral aroma, without any sharpness
- Rose geranium and geranium bourbon: High-quality, unadulterated geranium oils with beautiful scents are hard to source. Ava’s finds are exquisite: floral yet delicate, never heavy, in terms of fragrance. Geranium is one of the top essential oils for dry and mature skin
- Elderberry extract: An incredible dose of antioxidants to delay skin aging and reverse UV damage
- Galbanum: This essential oil is made from galbanum resin, an ancient wound-healing agent for slow-to-heal skin conditions and also used as an anti-inflammatory agent. Included here to aid skin tissue repair and scar healing and prevention
- Copaiba balsam resin: Another healing resin, this one from Brazil, used here to contribute acne-healing properties
- Aloe Vera: Most of us love aloe in place of water in facial care products, and this cold-press whole-leaf aloe is pure, fresh, and thickened just a touch by natural xanthan gum. It provides skin tissue repair, relief from sunburn, inflammation reduction, faster healing of any irritation, and highly and quickly absorbable moisture.
The following meadow wildflower essences, all made by Ava following the procedure used by Edward Bach, were included: white yarrow (for protection), silvery lupine (for strength, and longevity; youth preserving), wild rose (for youth, beauty, and skin firmness), and pink phlox (to preserve one’s gentle qualities and innocence).
Use generously alone or under an emollient product on the face, and under eyes if your skin tolerates the product well on this sensitive area, 1–2 times a day. You can follow with an emollient yet light facial oil or emollient moisturizer immediately upon application of Nap in the Meadow. If using a slower-absorbing product as the next step, such as a thick oil-based serum or balm, it often works best to wait a moment until Nap in the Meadow is absorbed. Shake often to remix. Store away from direct light exposure. Ideally REFRIGERATE, which protects freshness and enhances the cooling, refreshing, and de-puffing properties. If redness or sensitivity appears when you first use Nap in the Meadow, allow your skin to adjust to the product gradually, by using only a thin layer once a day for the first 7–14 days.
Aloe leaf juice*, elderberry fruit extract, natural preservative (lactobacillus ferment, lactobacillus, coconut fruit extract), turmeric CO2 supercritical extract, naturally derived polysorbate 20, Lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil († and *), yarrow oil*, helichrysum (Italian everlasting) oil†, German blue chamomile oil*, organic geranium bourbon, geranium rose*, copaiba balsam resin†, galbanum oil*, xanthan gum, ascorbic acid (vit. C), wildflower essences†.
Aloe vera certified by the International Aloe Science Council (IASC) for purity and content.